Health and fitness tips to make the most of your sober month!
How to prepare for your sober October
By Go Sober Team on
No one said that being a Soberhero was easy. Only the bravest and most fearless heroes will see it through to November without any alcohol touching their lips. You’re doing something amazing – and we salute you.
In preparation for your Go Sober:
- In September try to slow down your alcohol intake to half of what you would normally consume.
- Plan your social calendar. If you have an event that you really want to drink at, ask someone to buy you a Golden Ticket.
- Have a substitute for your usual weekend drinks. Try a mocktail or juice instead.
- Plan your meals and your shopping list.
- Remove all temptation from your house. Ask a friend or family member to mind your alcohol for you during October.
- Prepare your mind as well as your body for the abstinence of alcohol during October.
- Set yourself a goal for the month – a fundraising goal, eating healthier or perhaps starting an exercise program.
- Plan to make the most of your hangover-free weekends – go out for breakfast, meet a friend for a walk or indulge in a TV marathon on the couch.
- Recruit some friends to do Sober October with you – it’s easier with friends!
- Hang out with other Soberheroes.
- Keep yourself busy.
- Some people will find it easy, others will find it harder – however, it will get easier during the month!
- Explain to people why you’re not drinking – it’s a great conversation starter and most people will be supportive when they know why you’re not drinking.
- Plan your drink substitutions – there’s mocktails, ginger beer, soda water and lime, non-alcoholic beers and wines, herbal tea…
- Remind yourself why your doing Sober October and the fantastic cause you are supporting!
- Use our tick-off planner to mark of the days you’ve been sober and see how much you’ve achieved so far!