Health and fitness tips to make the most of your sober month!
Mocktails by Olly Smith
By Olly Smith on
Olly Smith is a multi award-winning drinks expert and broadcaster, and publisher of 'Fizz', a book with over 80 joyful cocktails and mocktails for every occasion.
- 25ml freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- 20ml Oleo Saccharum
- Ice cubes soda water
- Pour all the grapefruit juice and Oleo Saccharum into the wine glass filled with ice cubes
- Top with soda water and stir gently
- Garnish with a grapefruit peel.
- Large grapefruit peel
- White wine glass
Honey and Ginder Julep
- 1 tbsp just-boiled water
- 8 mint leaves
- 4½ tsp honey crushed ice
- Ice-cold ginger beer
- Mix the freshly boiled water with 2 fresh mint leaves and stir to wilt.
- Stir in the honey and then remove the mint leaves. Leave to cool completely.
- Place 6 fresh mint leaves at the base of a glass.
- Pack the glass with crushed ice.
- Pour in the honey syrup, mix and stir fast.
- Top up with ice-cold ginger beer.
- Add more ice
to top, and stir again before adding a final sprig of mint*.
*Adding a trickle of bourbon turns this into a naughtier version if you fancy!
- Sprig of mint
- Silver julep cup or highball
Nothing but a Butter Beer
- 20ml Ale and
- Ginger Reduction*
- 20ml caramel syrup
- 5ml lemon juice
- 1 whole egg
- 20ml single cream ice cubes
- 50ml soda water
- Combine the Ale and Ginger Reduction*, caramel syrup, lemon juice, egg and cream in a Boston shaker.
- Fill with ice cubes and shake until the tin is cold.
- In a half-pint glass, add the soda water and fine strain in the shaken mixture.
*Ale and Ginger Reduction
- 500ml amber ale
- 500g demerara sugar
- 100g peeled ginger, finely grated
Ale and Ginder Reduction Method
- Bring the ale to the boil in a large pan and add the sugar, stirring vigorously to prevent the sugar from burning.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, add the ginger.
- Simmer for roughly 10 minutes, then take off the heat and leave to cool before decanting into a sealable bottle.
Recipes extracted from Fizz by Olly Smith (Ebury Press, £12.99)
Photography by Kim Lightbody